Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Lesson Plans coming soon...

Hey all, sorry to be posting this so late--I'm having a nightmare evening. Just before I started this entry, I was doing some banking...and noticed a brand new credit card in addition to my normal savings account. It seems as though somehow, an unauthorized credit card was opened in my name. NOT GOOD. SO...I've had a long night of phone calls and hold music so far. The good news is that everything seems to be stemming from a bank error rather than attempted fraud, and the questionable account was inactive and has been closed. AAAND, just to be safe, I've put a credit freeze on my ssn, now. Sweet Action. I know that we are in the online/paperless age with many things, but you guys, I can't stress to you enough, keep up on your personal info, be secure, and be vigilant! It's especially important for you all when places like UMD make security blunders like sending your SSN out in a brochure (perhaps you all, being freshmen, were spared this debacle over the summer. If this did effect you, I hope you shredded that DOTS brochure!)

So, the point. My apologies for a late posting of tomorrows plans. Here is the game plan for tomorrow's class.

In addition to the reading from AWH on Paragraphs (Chapter 5), I also want to talk about a short passage from EWR on Claims, Evidence and Analysis--for my 101X 2006 students, you know about this reading already. For my 101 0213 Students, this is a new reading--but it's only 2 pages, and we'll be able to go over it all in class, should you not see this post tonight. The concepts of both readings are similar.

In addition to talking about building good paragraphs, we'll be doing an activity to help us build good paragraphs. The class will be broken up into small groups. Each small group will be given a handout that contains a paper topic, and a list of sentences. These sentences will either be "claims" or "evidence." As a group, you must identify and label the sentences appropriately. THEN you must select ONE of the claims from your list, as well as an appropriate amount of corresponding evidence, and build a paragraph around that claim, utilizing the evidence as support, and, as a group, developing the needed analysis that ties it all together. Each groups handout will be unique, and many different paragraphs can be created from the handouts.

A sample draft of paper 2 will be distributed tomorrow via email. We will discuss this sample draft in class on Friday. It will be your responsibility to print and read this sample draft for class on Friday.

There will be no formal written homework due for class on Friday. In Friday's class, we'll be working on a worksheet in the computer lab to help us develop strong introductions and conclusions on our topic, and reiterating the requirements and expectations for paper 2. For Friday, we will be relying heavily on the TSIS readings.


See you all tomorrow!

-Natalie

No comments: